Join us on Sunday, May 19, 2019 at 10:20 a.m. as we mark the International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia and Biphobia with special musical selections and an activity to enhance your vocabulary!
Like any denomination, The United Church of Canada’s congregations are diverse. There are small, large, rural, urban and suburban. Some with mainly older members, some with many young families. Some sing contemporary music while others stick to traditional hymns. Many claim to be welcoming of new people and many are. St Paul’s United Warkworth has publicly declared themselves Affirming – striving to be inclusive of All.
We have gone through a study process and created a Mission or Faith statement of how we will strive to be inclusive and have specifically made statements of how sexual orientation and gender identity are not barriers to full participation in our congregation.
The Affirm United Committee completed its mandate to bring St Paul’s to an informed vote regarding “Affirmation”. The vote held on May 5th 2012 resulted in 96% acceptance of “Affirming St Paul’s and its congregation”.
St. Paul’s has an active Affirm Committee with a focus on topics and issues of significance to the LGBTQ+ community and beyond.
- Hung two rainbow “pride” flags outside the church in Fall 2018 as a sign that we are an Affirming Ministry and welcoming to all – see photo of flag flying at entrance to St. Paul’s
- Created an affirming banner that now hangs in the entrance to our church as a sign of welcome to all
- Marking May 17, International Day Against Homophobia, Biphobia and Transphobia with special music, scripture and an activity during Sunday service on May 19, 2019
- Pride Service in Mill Creek Park, Warkworth, Ontario on June 9, 2019 at 10:20 a.m. in celebration of Pride month
- Affirm and handicapped access logos on the church notice board
- Collaborating with local Affirm Ministries to share our experiences and support each other on our congregational affirming journeys
- Hosting Affirm United workshops
- Guest speakers
- A bookmark featuring our slogan S.A.F.E. / Social Justice Affirms Freedom for Everyone
- Active Affirm Committee – we are here to listen and support you if you would like to reach out to us
Rev Meggin Hare, Chair, Affirm Committee Email Rev.Meggin Hare